Sitting on a Stool

"Charlotte (Selver) usually sat cross-legged in the classes, but one day she was sitting on a stool. I actually saw her. It was the first time I had ever consciously seen someone who was simply sitting. Her sitting on the stool was as quiet and uncomplicated - as unremarkable - as the stool's standing on the floor. After that I could see that it was the same way with her walking, and lying and standing; it was all unremarkable. That is the only word I can find to express what I felt in her stillness or her movements. The minute I try to put other descriptive words on it (easy, springy, youthful, grounded, full of energy, quiet - whatever) I call attention to what is remarkable - I seem to be putting emphasis on a single aspect of something that cannot be divided. It is the simplicity of it, the unremarkableness of it that I found so remarkable. And when I saw her sitting, something changed in me. I felt her 'being present', and I became more present myself."
(Mary Alice Roche, Charlotte Selver, Bulletin of the 'arbeitskreis heinrich jacoby/elsa gindler', Switzerland 2001)

Charlotte saß während der Stunden gewöhnlich im Schneidersitz auf dem Boden, doch einmal saß sie auf einem Stuhl. Ich sah sie wirklich. Dies war das erste Mal, dass ich bewusst jemanden einfach sitzen sah. Ihr Auf-dem-Stuhl-Sitzen war so ruhig und unkompliziert - so nichts Besonderes - wie das Stehen des Stuhls auf dem Boden. Danach konnte ich sehen, dass es mit ihrem Gehen, Liegen und Stehen dasselbe war - es war alles 'nichts Besonderes'. Ich kann, was ich in ihrem Stillsein und ihren Bewegungen fühlte, nicht anders beschreiben. Sobald ich mehr beschreibende Worte benutze (leicht, federnd, jugendlich, kraftvoll, ruhig, in Kontakt mit dem Boden - was auch immer), hebe ich etwas Besonderes heraus, einen bestimmten Aspekt einer unteilbaren Ganzheit. Doch ist es die Einfachheit, die 'Nicht-Besonderheit', die für mich so besonders war. Als ich sie sitzen sah, veränderte sich etwas in mir. Ich fühlte ihre Anwesenheit und wurde selber mehr anwesend. (Übersetzung von Stefan Laeng-Gilliatt)

On Video: Charlotte Selver, pioneer of Sensory Awareness, aged 101

Keine Kommentare: